Effective Date: January 14, 2019
Linkable Table of Contents
Avid Ratings offers individuals like you the opportunity to participate in Customer Satisfaction Surveys (“Surveys”) related to home ownership, including home construction and home improvement. For example, we are contracted by home builders and their suppliers to manage Surveys covering various stages of the home building experience. Your opinions and responses are very important, because they help home builders and their suppliers improve their services, develop new products and services, and develop better marketing strategies. Further, if you choose to, these surveys can assist us and other partners to provide you with exciting new offers relating to home improvement.
To help you understand what information is most relevant to you, we have provided the following useful definitions:
You have received an Avid Ratings survey form or questionnaire from us directly, including surveys mailed to you by post or sent electronically through our Service.
You are just visiting one of our websites to learn more about our products and services.
Our Builder Partners work with Avid Ratings to create surveys and questionnaires that we may send to you.
Our Promotion Partners work with Avid Ratings to create exciting offers relating to home ownership that we may send to you.
(a) Information You Provide to Us
On our Site or through Surveys emailed or mailed by post to you, we may ask you to provide us: (i) your first and last name, email address, home or other mailing and billing addresses, telephone number, mobile number and date of birth or other information that could reasonably be used to identify you personally (hereinafter “Personal Information”); (ii) demographic information, such as information like your gender, zip code, job, age, marital status, income level, education level, and occupation (“Demographic Information”); and/or (iii) personal preference information, such as what types of products you are interested in buying, what your budget is, or what home projects you may be considering (“Preference Information,” and together with Personal and Demographic Information, the “Collected Information”).
We may also collect this information when you:
- Submit account registration forms or otherwise save your information with us on our Site;
- Sign up or request to be placed on our mailing, SMS/text and/or email marketing lists;
- Participate in a survey or promotion;
- Contact us regarding a question or concern such as when you make inquiries concerning our Site or Service;
- Submit an application for employment; and/or
- Otherwise interact with us through the Site or Service.
(b) General Browsing as You Access and Use the Service
In addition to any Personal Information or other information that you choose to submit to us via our Service, we and our third-party service providers may use a variety of technologies that automatically (or passively) store or collect certain information whenever you visit or interact with the Service (“Usage Information”). This Usage Information may be stored or accessed using a variety of technologies that may be downloaded to your personal computer, browser, laptop, tablet, mobile phone or other device (a “Device”) whenever you visit or interact with our Service. To the extent we associate Usage Information with your Personal Information we collect directly from you on the Service, we will treat it as Personal Information.
This Usage Information may include:
- your IP address, UDID or other unique identifier (“Device Identifier”). A Device Identifier is a number that is automatically assigned to your Device used to access the Service, and our computers identify your Device by its Device Identifier;
- your Device functionality (including browser, operating system, hardware, mobile network information);
- the URL that referred you to our Service;
- the areas within our Service that you visit and your activities there, including remembering you
- and your preferences;
- your Device location;
- your Device characteristics; and
- certain other Device data, including the time of day, among other information.
- Cookies. A cookie is a file placed on a Device to uniquely identify your browser or to store information on your Device. Our Site may use HTTP cookies, HTML5 cookies, Flash cookies and other types of cookie technology to store information on local storage.
- Web Beacons. A Web Beacon is a small tag (which may be invisible to you) that may be placed on our Site’s pages and messages.
- Embedded Scripts. An embedded script is programming code that is designed to collect information about your interactions with the Site, such as the links that you may click.
- ETag. An ETag or entity tag is a feature of the cache in browsers. It is an opaque identifier assigned by a web server to a specific version of a resource found at a URL.
- Browser Fingerprinting. Collection and analysis of information from your Device, for example, your operating system, plug-ins, system fonts and other data, for purposes of identification.
- Recognition Technologies. Technologies that include application of statistical probability to data sets, which attempt to recognize or make assumptions about users and devices (g., that a user of multiple devices is the same user).
- To allow you to use and access our Sites, including;
- To prevent fraudulent activity and improved security functionality or to allow you to make use of other Site functionality;
- To assess the performance of the Site for analytic purposes or otherwise to improve our Services offered through the Site;
- To offer you enhanced functionality when accessing the Site, including identifying you when you sign‑in to our Site, keeping track of your specified preferences or to track your online activities over time and across third-party sites; and
- Processing and tracking and completing our Services and related transactions;
- Enabling you to participate in Surveys or other promotions or features of the Site;
- Sending you marketing information about Avid Ratings and third parties we work with, including through direct mail offerings;
- Allow us to contact you regarding our Surveys or other Services and promotions;
- Improving the effectiveness of our Surveys or the Site, marketing endeavors and service offerings;
- Offering you location-based services;
- Processing account registration;
- Providing customer service, including responding to your inquiries regarding our Surveys or other Services;
- Identifying your preferences for the Site, providing personalized content and ads and informing you of new or additional Services and promotions that may be of interest to you;
- Help us troubleshoot problems with our Site and improve our Site and Services;
- Providing mobile marketing messages and other communications and messages;
- Protecting the security and integrity of the Site;
- For internal business purposes; and
We may use various methods and technologies to store or collect Usage Information (“Tracking Technologies”). Tracking Technologies may set, change, alter or modify settings or configurations on your Device. The Tracking Technologies we use on our Sites and other Services include the following (and subsequent technology and methods later developed):
We use Tracking Technologies for a variety of purposes, including:
There may be other Tracking Technologies used by us now or later developed and used by us in connection with the Service.
(d) Information We Collect When You Interact with Third-Party Sites
Also, various third parties are developing or have developed signals or other mechanisms for the expression of consumer choice regarding the collection of information about an individual consumer’s online activities over time and across third-party web sites or online services (e.g., browser do not track signals). Currently, we do not monitor or take any action with respect to these signals or other mechanisms.
(e) Information Third Parties Provide About You
(f) Information You Provide About a Third Party
You may send someone else a communication from the Service, such as sending an invitation to a friend. If so, the information you provide (names, e-mail addresses, etc.) is used to facilitate the communication and is not used by us for any other marketing purpose unless we obtain consent from that person or we explicitly say otherwise. Please be aware that when you use any send-to-a-friend functionality on our Service, your contact information, name or user name and message may be included in the communication sent to your addressee(s). Some of these tools may be third-party tools subject to third-party privacy policies.
(a) Use of Information by Us.
We may use your Personal Information, Demographic Information, Preference Information, or Usage Information for the following purposes:
Additionally, anonymous survey information will be used for purposes of reporting survey results to our Builder Partners, as appropriate, and monitoring or improving the use and satisfaction of this site.
(a) When You Request Information From Third Parties. You may be presented with an option on our Service to receive certain information and/or marketing offers directly from Promotion Partners or other third parties, or to have us send certain information to Promotion Partners or other third parties or give them access to it. If you choose to do so, your Personal Information, Demographic Information, Preference Information, and other information may be disclosed to such Promotion Partners or other third parties, and all information you disclose will be subject to the third-party privacy policies and practices of those third parties. In addition, third parties may store, collect or otherwise have access to your information when you interact with their Tracking Technologies, content, tools apps or ads on our Service or link to them from our Service. This may include using third-party tools such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or other third-party posting or content sharing tools and by so interacting you consent to such third-party practices. We are not responsible for the privacy policies and practices of such third parties; therefore, you should review carefully the privacy policies and practices of such third parties prior to requesting information from or otherwise interacting with them.
(b) Third Parties Providing Services on Our Behalf. We may use third-party service providers to perform certain services on behalf of us or the Site, such as (i) assisting with the Site operations, (ii) hosting the Site, (iii) designing and/or operating the Site’s features, (v) tracking the Site’s activities and analytics, and (vi) enabling us to send you special offers or perform other administrative services. We may provide these service providers with access to user information, including Device Identifiers and Personal Information, to carry out the services they are performing.
(d) Affiliates and Business Transfer. We may share your information, including your Device Identifiers and Personal Information, Demographic Information, Preference Information, and Usage Information with our affiliated companies (“Affiliates”). We also reserve the right to disclose and transfer all such information: (i) to a subsequent owner, co-owner or operator of the Service or applicable database; or (ii) in connection with a merger, consolidation, restructuring, the sale of substantially all of our interests and/or assets or other corporate change, including, during the course of any due diligence process.
(e) Sweepstakes, Contests and Promotions. We may offer sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions (any, a “Promotion”) through the Service that may require registration. By participating in a Promotion, you are agreeing to official rules that govern that Promotion, which may contain specific requirements of you, including, allowing the sponsor of the Promotion to use your name, voice and/or likeness in advertising or marketing associated with the Promotion. If you choose to enter a Promotion, Personal Information may be disclosed to third parties or the public in connection with the administration of such Promotion, including, in connection with winner selection, prize fulfillment, and as required by law or permitted by the Promotion’s official rules, such as on a winners list.
The Service may contain content that is supplied by a Builder Partner, Promotion Partner, or other third party, and those third parties may collect Usage Information and your Device Identifier when pages from the Service are served to you. In addition, when you are on the Service you may be directed to other services that are operated and controlled by third parties that we do not control. Occasionally when linking to another site, you may still see our site’s logo or frame. This is to provide you with a seamless experience when visiting our website. In these cases, you are no longer on our Site and are now on a different website whose information collection practices may differ from ours. We are not responsible for the data collection and privacy practices employed by any of these third parties or their services and they may be tracking you across multiple sites and may be sharing the results of that tracking with us and/or others. For example, if you “click” on a link, the “click” may take you off the Service onto a different site. These other sites may associate their Tracking Technologies with you, independently collect data about you, including Personal Information, and may or may not have their own published privacy policies.
Third-party applications may also be available via the Service. The owners of these applications (“Third-Party Owners”) may collect Personal Information and other data from you and may have their own policies and practices. We are not responsible for how Third-Party Owners or their applications collect or use your information and they may be tracking you across multiple sites and may be sharing the results of that tracking with us and/or others. These Third-Party Owners may have their own terms of service, privacy policies or other policies and ask you to agree to the same. We are not responsible for these third-party privacy policies or the practices of Third-Party Owners. Be sure to review any available policies before submitting any personally identifiable information to a third-party application or otherwise interacting with it and exercise caution in connection with these applications. We also encourage you to note when you leave our Service and to review the third-party privacy policies of all third-party locations and exercise caution in connection with them.
If you do not wish to receive e-mails about special offers, new Surveys, contests and other information from us email firstname.lastname@example.org to opt out, or if you do not wish to receive other marketing materials by regular mail from us, please call us at (608) 824-2500.
We recognize the importance of children’s safety and privacy. Our Sites and Services are not designed to attract children and are not intended for use by any children under the age of 13. We do not request or knowingly collect any personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13. We are a general audience Site and Service and do not use the Site to collect personal information from children under the age of thirteen (13). If you are under 13 years of age, you are not permitted to use the Site and should not send any information about yourself to us through the Site.
In the event that we become aware that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of thirteen (13), we will dispose of that information in accordance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”) and other applicable laws and regulations. If you are a parent or guardian and you believe that your child under the age of 13 has provided us with personal information without your consent, please contact us at email@example.com.
We collect various types of personal information about you during the course of your relationship with us. Under California law, if you are a resident of California, you may make a written request to us about how we have shared your information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. If this law applies to you, you may obtain the categories of personal information shared by us and the names and addresses of all third parties that received personal information for their direct marketing purposes from us during the immediately prior calendar year (e.g., requests made in 2018 will receive information about 2017 sharing activities). To make such a request, please provide sufficient information for us to determine if this applies to you, attest to the fact that you are a California resident and provide a current California address for our response.
Avid Ratings Legal Department
918 Deming Way, Suite 201
Madison, WI 53717
Various third parties are developing or have developed signals or other mechanisms for the expression of consumer choice regarding the collection of information about an individual consumer’s online activities over time and across third-party websites or online services (e.g., browser do not track signals). Currently, we do not monitor or take any action with respect to these signals or other mechanisms.
We prefer to keep your Personal Information accurate and up-to-date. If you would like to change your contact information, please go to https://www.avidreports.com/ and log in with your email address and password or call us at (608) 824-2500.
If so, we will make good faith efforts to make requested changes in our then active databases as soon as reasonably practicable (but we may retain prior information as business records). Please note that it is not always possible to completely remove or delete all of your information from our databases and that residual data may remain on backup media or for other reasons.
For your convenience, the Site may contain links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices, advertising, products, or the content of such other websites. None of the links should be deemed to imply that we endorse or has any affiliation with the links.
We incorporate commercially reasonable safeguards to help protect and secure your Personal Information. However, no data transmission over the Internet, mobile networks, wireless transmission or electronic storage of information can be guaranteed 100% secure. As a result, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit to or from our Site, and you provide us with your information at your own risk.